KAM-XL All-Mode Wireless Modem
|Features | Specifications | App Notes | Accessories|
View/Download (PDF format):
KAM-XL Brochure (192k) KAM-XL Manual (1543k) KAM-XL Port Pinout (105k)
KAM-XL Firmware Update (ZIP, 225k) (latest rev, 02/19/2007)
(allow arqbbs link if vhf bbs in use, display of rtext through myremote link suppressed, fixes for mheard display and xkiss,changed handling of I and UI frames with no PID)
KAM-XL Firmware Update (ZIP, 215k) (latest rev, 12/13/2005)
(Refinements in message forwarding in nonpacket mailbox access)
KAM-XL Firmware Update (ZIP, 218k) (rev 08/11/2004)
The Kantronics original KAM (Kantronics All Mode) was a global revolution in digital communication. In Kantronics tradition, the KAM Plus evolved through customer suggestions and years of operating experience, making the Kantronics KAM Plus the most popular TNC on the global market. The KAM XL, Kantronics third generation multi-modem TNC is a state-of-the-art design giving the customer operations on both HF and UHF/VHF, while supporting DSP modems and popular new modes of operation.
Kantronics KAM-XL was designed to operate in many different applications as the digital world continues to change. Engineered for years of dependable performance, the KAM-XL also includes room for new modes and upgrades well into the future. Kantronics, the pioneer in digital communications, now offers you 30 years engineering experience in the Kantronics KAM-XL.
Operating modes and functions include:
- Location Tracking/Announcement: With a GPS connected to the KAM-XL, you can automatically announce your position to others via HF, UHF, or VHF. Kantronics KAM-XL is engineered to work with APRS® software and supports advanced UI frame digipeating functions
- HF and/or VHF/UHF Operations: With dual radio ports, the flexible Kantronics KAM-XL can be used on HF, UHF and VHF bands. The popular Kantronics KAM "gateway" feature between ports 1 and 2 allows for a local packet to be received on VHF or UHF bands, then transmitted over an HF band.
- Large capacity Internal Mailbox: 480K personal mailbox is standard. The KAM-XL mailbox can respond to HF on TOR modes, as well as packet modes.
- Versatile Operations: The Kantronics KAM-XL may be used at your base, in the field, or as a mobile. Designed for flexibility, the KAM-XL will function with mobile, base, or hand-held radios.
- Detailed Manual: The KAM-XL manual is included on CD-ROM, and is available here in PDF form (1111k).
- Made in the USA -- Limited one year warranty to original purchaser
|Dimensions (H×W×D)||1.4"×8.5"×4.6" (36 mm × 216 mm × 117 mm)|
|System Control Processor||HC12 with 512K Flash and 512K Battery-Backed RAM|
|DSP Chip||ADSP 2185M processor|
|Power Requirements||DC 10 V - 18 V, 150 ma|
|Power Plug||2.1 mm coaxial, center pin positive|
|External Connection Ports||Radio Ports 1 & 2: DB-9 female
Computer Port: DB-9 female
Aux. Port: DB-9 male
Telemetry Port: DB-15 female
|PTT Watchdog Timer||Approx. 2.5 minutes|
|External Carrier Detect||Pulldown to ground|
|Data Rate, Port 1||45-1200 bps|
|Data Rate, Port 2||300-9600 bps|
|PTT Output||Open drain, max +50 V dc|
|FSK Output||Open drain, max +50 V dc|
|Audio Output||Continuously adjustable 10 mv - 2 V p-p|
|Output Impedance||600 Ohm, AC coupled|
|HF Modulation||Up to 1200 bps AFSK|
|VHF/UHF Modulation||1200 bps FSK (Bell 202 ~ 1200/2200 Hz standard)
9600 bps GMSK
|Dynamic Range||HF: >75 dB
VHF/UHF: >73 dB
|Input Impedance||10 kOhm or 620 Ohm|
|Max input voltage||±12 V dc; 35 v p-p sinusoidal|
|Operating Modes||Packet, PACTOR, GTOR, AMTOR, RTTY,
ASCII, CW, WEFAX, NAVTEX/AMTEX, KISS,
HOST, GPS, PSK31
|Other Features||HF and VHF PBBS access, KA-Node, Packet Gateway and Cross Connect|
|LED Indicators||Power, Mail, Port 1 (Xmit, Rcv, Lock/Con,
Val/Sta Speed, Tuner Bargraph), Port 2 (Xmit, Rec, Con/Sta)
|Remote Control Access||All controller functions, user-defined password|
|External Reset||Pulldown to ground|
|Warranty||KAM-XL is protected by a one-year limited warranty to the original owner|
Specifications subject to change without notice or obligation.
APRS® is a registered trademark of Bob Bruninga, WB4APR.
All registered trademarks remain the property of their respective owners.